Tuesday 18 May 2010



These paintings form a series that I completed recently called 'The Flesh Distort' Series and I figured I’d write a little about the thought processes that went into their creation. I always find it interesting to hear artists wax lyrical about their work because it provides a bit of insight into their minds and intentions, and maybe you (yes you reading this!) can take something from this, or more likely I’ll have wasted several minutes of your life.... Ahh well onwards -

Basically as far as I can figure out from the skittering network of misfiring neurons in my noggin, I was pushing forward with the biomorthic abstraction that has marked some of my more recent work. I was trying to create images that are almost violent but dazzling at the same time.

I didn't prepare a sketch for the first painting in the series and it was in fact a happy accident (The result of experimentation after a failed painting) and then when that experiment turned out well I ran with it.

I tried to keep some of the symbols and other compositional elements universal in all three paintings to get the sense of a ‘series’. Thus there is

White circles with lines sprouting out (Almost like suns)
A red half circle line is included in every painting
Similar colours – The Yellow, Black, Fleshy tones etc

I guess to sum up they're kind of a dream landscape of half forms and distorted flesh ... Much as the title implies!

No comments: